Sunday, May 31, 2009

Zermatt

Zermatt - home of the Matterhorn, in the Swiss Alps. It happens to now be one of my favourite spots in the world. If anyone reading this is going to be visiting Zermatt and wants the names of some really great restaurants, let me know.
Swiss food is up there on my list as one of my favourite cusines, especially the hearty, honest food from the mountains.
If someone even mentions Swiss food, my mouth is watering and my heart is singing (cheesy but true). I immediately think of veal with a white wine and cream sauce, cheese, corn-fed chicken, Escargot, chocolate, the best sausages in the world, and Fondue (both cheese or meat ones - where the whole table is loaded with things to dip in and cook).

Nearly every meal I had in Zermatt was sheer heaven. We wandered along some of the winter walking trails (and got lost very often) to reach some of the restaurants geared towards the hungry skiiers (or walkers), as well as eating in some of the pretty restaurants in the village. I will also hungrily remember the stall set up on the main street, outside the butchers, with a man frying up some really incredible sausages, including big, juicy veal sausages, served with crusty bread and a big dollop of mustard. We paid him a few visits of course.

The scenery of Zermatt is breathtaking. I spent a week there over christmas, and can't wait until I can do it all again. Everywhere you turn, the mountains are looming, lots of snow and ice, sleigh bells, the zoom of electric taxis (no real cars allowed in Zermatt), and the Matterhorn. Oh, and as an added bonus (if the rest isn't enticing enough), the people are kind and beautiful.

I could move to Zermatt in a second. It would be very difficult to do this, but if someone gave me the opportunity, I'd be there. I can't wait to go back and I missed it as soon as I had left. My skiing skills (even after lessons) are poor to non-existent, but I made up for it with my enthusiasm for the food. Oh please go and do the same! If you have been, please tell me if you know how to make a dessert that involved Emmental meringues.

No comments:

Post a Comment